Saturday 9 August 2014

Indie Brand: Echoes Polish 'Gloomy Glow Worm' & 'Ferngully'

So, I have extra awesome special news and extra awesome new (ish) polishes to show yoooooou!





I have waxed at length about how wonderful Shannon and Kristyn at Echoes Polish are, not to mention how beautiful their polish line is. 

Which leads me to some very good news: Echoes Polish have a brand new website up! And the *best* part is that it is linked to their blog, Etsy store, Facebook, Instagram AND Twitter. If you ever wanted to know more about how Echoes got started or if you'd like to see the faces behind the polish, head on over and check it out here!

On to the polishes! 
(Tiny Disclaimer: These were both provided free of charge for compensation of incorrectly mixed/damaged items. My review is honest and not affected by whether or not I purchased them.)


Indoors in Artificial Light

 First up is Echoes Polish Gloomy Glow Worm.

Gloomy Glow Worm is a two-shade thermal polish with a sprinkling of shimmer. When hot is is a vibrant, medium blue and transitions easily into a medium, blue-toned purple. There is the most subtle suggestion of a duskiness about the shade. Above you can see three coats of Gloomy in it's warmest state without topcoat.


Indoors in Artificial Light

Gloomy cooling off with purple starting to appear around the tips of my nails. As with all the other thermal shades I have tried by Echoes Polish, this will dry to a semi-textured finish and will require a good top-coat to smooth it out. OR if you like the textured look, as I know some do, then you can get away with leaving it alone! I wore this one without topcoat for a few days and had minimal tip-wear and zero chipping.


Indoors in Artificial Light

Gloomy nearly fully transitioned. There is a beautiful shimmer in this polish that resembles a very fine glass-fleck glitter. It is stunningly pretty and really pops when the polish transitions into the cold-state purple. It is also a good idea to note that along with the pretty shimmer, Gloomy is also Glow-in-the-Dark! I didn't get any mid-glow shots, but I can assure you it is a very bright glow and a very blue one.

Indoors in Artificial Light

Gloomy fully transitioned into purple! This particular shade of purple is definitely on the cool-toned side and is in the middle between pale and dark. A perfect medium purple. 


Indoors in Artificial Light

Formula-wise I was impressed. I recieved this separately to Fergully, which will be also be reviewed in this post, and I have found each hand-mixed bottle to be extremely consistent in terms of ease of application. Drytime is quick, but not immediate. The first coat dried very quickly, but the second and third coats respectively took a little longer to dry.

Overall, I really enjoy the novelty of both Thermal and Glow polishes and this one fits the bill nicely. It is a very lovely colour and the transition is very easy to achieve - even washing your hands will start off the colour change. If you are a purple lover and looking for an interesting polish, give this one a go!


Indoors in Artificial Light

Next up is the real Ferngully! It finally arrived - with a million layers of bubble wrap, thanks girls!

Ferngully is a pale, grassy green - aqua - turquoise - teal - dusty purple shimmer thermal. Yes, all of those colours. I am not kidding at all. Ferngully has very distinctive colour changes and very distinct shades that only appear with certain temperatures and can cover the full nail, not just the tips, at any time. It is complex and very very lovely. Three coats without topcoat are pictured above with Ferngully in a pale grassy green at it's warmest state.


Indoors in Artificial Light

Mid-transition into one of the many shades of aqua/turquoise that can be achieved as the temperature of my hands cooled off. The whole nail turned a much more blue-toned green before having the turquoise appear on the tips. The shimmer in Ferngully is much finer than that in Gloomy and comes out best in the darker transition shades.


Indoors in Artificial Light

Ferngully slowly transitioning into Teal. It is important to note that there are two different versions of Ferngully that could in rotation if you look for swatches of this particular colour. Echoes Polish were forced to change the formula of this polish when their pigment supplier stopped stocking one of the pigments used. This version is the most recent.


Indoors in Artificial Light

This is the darkest and most blue I could get Fergully to transition. My hands were just warming too much and it was difficult to capture that dark purple-blue you can see on the tips of my nails. The subtle shimmer is much more apparent as the polish changes, but is still visible when it is warm - it really gives Ferngully another dimension of complexity.


Indoors in Artificial Light




Formula was good, consistent and textured without topcoat. No problems with application. Dry time was the same, if not a little better, than Gloomy. Colour transition is incredibly easily achieved and the amount of shades that you can get with Ferngully is simply astounding! I can't get over how different it can look - it even changed shades within about five minutes after I took the bottle out of my Helmer.


Overall, this is one of my most-loved polishes. Add a holo-topcoat and I'm in heaven. I love the colour green, but my complexion just doesn't suit the vast majority of greens because they are too warm-toned. This is one beautifully cool toned green that gets even cooller and shifts into blue - my kinda thing!

Indoors in Artificial Light
I thought it might be worth comparing the previous Borked (pigment deficient Ferngully) and the real one I recieved. Borked is definitely a far more yellow-toned green and does not have the final blue colour-shift at all. The two are quite different which I am very pleased about!

To sum everything up...

I have not encountered a brand that puts so much love and attention into providing new and interesting thermal polishes. The variety of colours available is outstanding and ever-changing - they are always creating and introducing more and more to their store! I loves me some variety and doubt I will ever be disappointed. It is also important to note that they are a 5-free and cruelty free brand! No stanky polish around here which is GREAT when you spend a morning swatching!

And speaking of swatching...Echoes Polish are now accepting swatchers for their polish! I immediately contacted them to inquire and the way it works is that you purchase the shades you would like to swatch and review at a discounted price and provide the reviews/swatches within a reasonable timeframe. I like this idea of swatching - I get to pick what I like at a cheaper price and am happy to provide wonderful swatches/reviews of my choices. It's a win-win situation if ever I saw one!

Note: This may not necessarily be the norm for swatcher agreements, but please keep in mind that Echoes Polish are a newer brand - certainly to the international and internet market - and it is simply not cost-effective for a smaller business to send out hoards of free samples to everyone who inquires. I would rather purchase things I love and swatch them than recieve items that are free, but not my colours at all - that said, I always strive to provide honest reviews whether or not I pay for items.

Head on over to Echoes Polish's new website to find all the information you could possible want - including a direct link to their Etsy site!

You can also still find Echoes Polish on Storenvy here. Both sites are fully stocked with their new Cosmic Polychrome & Fall Thermal shades, as well as the stock glitters and thermals that are normally on offer!

Expect more swatches of this fantastic brand in the very near future!
















No comments:

Post a Comment