Monday 5 May 2014

Celebration Cupcakes

I had an interview with an Education Recruitment company last week and I jokingly said that if it went really well and they put me in their books then I would do some celebratory cupcake nail art...







Yes, the interview went well! My interviewer was incredibly nice and we really hit it off. The whole thing ended with her asking to have a play on my phone - a Samsung Galaxy Note - because she was getting frustrated with a tiny iPhone screen and wanted to see how functional it would be for her. 

It all means I will be able to get back into the classroom much sooner and meet some more new kids....which means more money and by default MOAR POLISH!

Outdoors in Shade

Base shade is Revlon Lavender Soap from the scented Parfumerie Collection. I got a tonne of them when they were on sale over New Years and haven't been disappointed yet!

Lavender Soap is a frosty, light purple polish which leans slightly blue-toned. Formula was okay - it took three coats to even out streakiness and to ensure it was completely opaque. The scent? Well...it's a bit weird. It definitely smells like lavender and also something vaguely soap-like. Almost like the lavender scented laundry detergent we use. Not unpleasant, but not something you'd walk round sniffing your fingers in glee at.


Outdoors in Sunlight

It is a nice polish really and made a very acceptable base. My only gripe is that even with a thin coat, it took a million years to dry. So. Much. Waiting. Too much waiting, in fact, so I slapped on some Won't Chip and then had to deal with bubbling. Just as well I intended to do some nail art over it!


Indoors in Natural Light

I used a tonne of polishes and a dotting tool for the polka dots. You can see: piCture pOlish Watermelon & Whimsy and China Glaze Highlight Of My Summer & Lemon Fizz.  


Indoors with Natural Lighting

The cupcake accent nail has a few more: OPI Alpine Snow for the frosting, an unnamed CR polish that has small holographic hexes and threads, Kleancolor Texture Boss Lady for the cupcake base and China Glaze Snap My Dragon for the cherry. 


Indoors with Natural Lighting

Basically, I just started with Lavender Soap as my base, painted the lower third of the nail with Boss Lady, used Alpine Snow in a mound above the base and used my largest dotting tool to create the scalloped edging on the bottom. As an afterthought, I used Lemon Fizz to paint some small lines down the base to resemble a paper case. The CR polish went on as frosting flakes and then the aforementioned polka dot colours on top of that. The cherry was the last thing I did. 


Indoors with Natural Lighting

It looks complicated and like it would take a long time, but I swear it didn't really! Very simple if you follow the steps one after the other and there are so many different colour themes you could use. I intend on using a more complimentary theme for next time - and there will be a next time as I really enjoyed doing it!

The next few weeks are going to be pretty intense with nail art and the prospect of spending more time out of the house teaching. I have ambitiously decided to have a go at Moyou London's nail art challenge for the month of May over on Instagram! Some of the nail art for the challenge will be featured here, but with changing it nearly every day and more work commitments, some will just go up on Instagram alone :)




(Disclaimer: All polishes and extra materials used and reviewed in this blog post were purchased and not donated for review unless otherwise stated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment